Introduction to HR software
It may be easy to keep tabs on employees when a company is starting. However, as you grow, onboarding to ensure each employee’s benefits information is managed effectively becomes difficult to do manually.
Enter HR software.
From startups to bigger companies, HR software helps manage benefits, time-offs, payroll, and even rewards seamlessly, so HR professionals can focus on what matters most: hiring and ensuring existing employees are happy.
The HR software market is projected to grow to $33 billion in 2024.
In this article, we’ll look at some of the best HRMS software in India, and learn more about HR software.
Quick Read: Business Automation- The Perfect CFO Toolkit
List of best HR software in India
- ADP Workforce Now
- UKG Pro
- Vantage Circle
- Workday HCM
Time off/PTO management
New hires management
Best HR Software in 2023
Here are the top HR software solutions in India for 2023. Let’s take a look at each.
ADP Workforce Now is a cloud-based HR software that empowers organizations to optimize their workforce management. It offers an all-in-one, customizable application, and simplifies payroll processing, benefits administration, time and attendance tracking, and talent management. Its intuitive interface and end-to-end analytics provide real-time insights, enabling HR professionals to make data-driven decisions and drive organizational success.
- Timesheets management
- Employee management
- New hires management
- Mobile application
- Real-time employee analytics
- Frequent, timely updates
- Great for onboarding new employees
- Can track employee applications
ADP Workforce Now has been rated 4.1/5 based on 3298 reviews.
ADP is one of the foremost HR solutions in the market and is highly rated by users on G2 and other software websites.
Quick Read: 10 Best Accounts Payable (AP) Software
Rippling is a modern HR platform that seamlessly integrates HR, payroll software, and IT management into one unified system. It offers features like employee onboarding, benefits administration, time tracking, device and app management, and compliance automation. With its intuitive interface and automated workflows, Rippling simplifies complex HR tasks, allowing businesses to focus on strategic initiatives and employee satisfaction.
- Employee lifecycle management
- Employee onboarding and benefits management
- End-to-end time tracking and compliance automation
- HR analytics
- Excellent benefits administration
- Easy to use and user-friendly
- Excellent user interface
Rippling has an average review of 4.8/5 based on 1965 reviews.
Rippling is also a hassle-free HR solution that fits in well with small businesses and medium-sized businesses.
Quick Read: 10 Best Expense Reimbursement Software
Lattice is a performance management software designed to enhance employee engagement and drive growth. It helps with intuitive goal-setting features, continuous feedback loops, and performance evaluations, Lattice helps organizations align employee objectives with company goals. It fosters a culture of continuous learning and development, empowering managers to provide timely feedback and support employee growth, resulting in increased productivity and retention.
- Workflow management
- OKRs setting and management
- Performance benchmarking
- Statutory compliance
- The 1:1 feature is highly effective and useful
- The auto-save function is highly efficient
Lattice has an average review of 4.7/5 based on 3646 reviews.
Lattice is one of the foremost solutions for HR teams worldwide to track and manage performance.
Quick Read: 10 Best Workflow Management Software
Nectar is a comprehensive employee recognition and rewards platform that boosts employee morale and enhances company culture. Nectar helps organizations create customized recognition programs, reward employees for their achievements, and foster a sense of appreciation. Through seamless integration with different HR systems, Nectar simplifies the recognition process, improving employee engagement and creating a positive work environment.
- File sharing
- Content Library
- Employee rewards
- It’s an easy way to showcase work done by employees
- Straightforward implementation
Nectar has an average review of 4.7/5 based on 3356 reviews.
Nectar is an excellent HR software and serves well for people who want to continuously reward employee accomplishments.
Quick Read: 10 Best Business Management Software
Guusto is an innovative employee gifting platform that helps organizations create memorable employee experiences. Guusto helps companies easily send customized digital gifts to their employees to celebrate milestones, birthdays, or special occasions. From gift cards to experiences, Guusto offers a wide range of choices, ensuring that every gift is meaningful and appreciated.
- Centralized dashboard
- Employee engagement and management
- Rewards management
- Rewards catalog
- Offers instant digital codes
- Quick and intuitive product for quick rewards
Guusto has an average review of 4.9/5 based on 2348 reviews.
Guusto is a great platform for employee rewards and it’s also rated highly on G2.
Paylocity is a cloud-based HR and payroll software that simplifies HR processes and ensures accurate payroll management. With its comprehensive features, Paylocity enables businesses to automate time and attendance tracking, benefits administration, talent management, and compliance. Its robust reporting and analytics tools provide actionable insights, helping HR professionals make informed decisions and optimize workforce performance.
- Automated time and attendance tracking
- Reporting and dashboards
- Benefits administration
- Check/W-2 printing
- Easy setup and customization functionalities
- Integrates well with existing systems
- The application lags in terms of some functionalities such as BSwift benefits
- The UX is difficult to use and navigate
Paylocity has an average review of 4.4/5 based on 2230 reviews.
Guusto is a great platform for employee rewards and it’s also rated highly on G2.
Quick Read: TOP 8 Enterprise Software Solutions
7. UKG Pro
UKG Pro is a powerful HR and workforce management solution that unifies HR, talent, and payroll processes. Coming with a comprehensive suite of tools, UKG Pro enables businesses to automate HR workflows, streamline payroll processing, and manage talent acquisition and development. Its intuitive self-service portal empowers employees to access their information, submit time-off requests, and participate in learning and development programs.
- Time off accrual management
- Wage garnishment
- Pre-tax deductions
- Improved day-to-day operations
- User-friendly from an admin standpoint
UKG Pro has an average review of 4.2/5 based on 1446 reviews.
UKG Pro is one of the top 50 HR products according to G2.
Quick Read: 10 Best Travel Management Software
Vantage Circle is an all-in-one employee engagement platform that fosters a positive workplace culture and boosts employee satisfaction. The solution helps with personalized employee rewards and recognition programs, implements employee wellness initiatives, and facilitates seamless communication and collaboration. Its easy-to-use interface and gamification features make engagement fun and drive overall employee performance.
- Employee surveys
- Survey customization
- Peer recognition
- Employee engagement
- Corporate discounts
- Makes it easy to collaborate
- It is one of the best reward programs
Vantage Circle has an average review of 4.7/5 based on 2630 reviews.
Vantage Circle is one of the best employee reward solutions in the market.
Quick Read: 10 Best ERP Software
Jotform is a versatile online form builder that simplifies the process of collecting and managing HR-related data. Jotform helps companies create customized forms for job applications, employee surveys, performance evaluations, and more. Its intuitive drag-and-drop interface, extensive form templates, and powerful integrations make form creation and data collection seamless, enhancing HR productivity and efficiency.
- Survey builder and distribution
- Conditional logic
- Branching and skip logic
- Multi-page forms
- Everything is customizable and user-friendly
- Easy to use and intuitive solution
Jotform has an average review of 4.7/5 based on 1775 reviews.
Jotform is a great, overall HR platform for companies of all sizes.
Quick Read: 10 Best Project Management Software and Tools
10. Workday HCM
Workday HCM is a comprehensive human capital management system that streamlines HR processes and enables organizations to manage their entire workforce. From recruitment and onboarding to performance management and workforce planning,
Workday HCM covers a wide range of HR functions, including talent acquisition, employee onboarding, performance management, compensation and benefits administration, learning and development, workforce planning, and analytics.
- Organization management
- Time, attendance, and PTO management
- Benefits record management
- Time off accrual capabilities
- The platform has great reporting and analytics capabilities
- Helps view organizations in a structured way
Workday HCM has an average review of 4/5 based on 1219 reviews.
Workday HCM is one of the leaders according to the Winter G2 GRID report.
Quick Read: 12 Best Invoicing Software
What is HR software?
HR software, also known as human resources software or HR management systems, refers to a category of software applications and tools designed to streamline and automate various aspects of human resources management within an organization. HR software aims to improve efficiency, accuracy, and effectiveness in managing HR-related processes, data, and tasks.
HR software comes either as SaaS or on-premise solution and offers a range of functionalities that support key HR functions, such as employee data, recruitment management, applicant tracking, payroll and benefits administration, performance management, training and development, time and attendance tracking, and compliance with labor laws and regulations.
What are the types of HR software?
There are different HR software available, each built to serve different HR needs.
Here are some common types of HR software:
- Human Resource Information System: HRIS software is a central database for storing employee information. It includes features such as employee profiles, attendance tracking, payroll management, benefits administration, and reporting.
- Applicant Tracking System: ATS software helps streamline the recruitment process by automating tasks like job posting, resume screening, candidate tracking, interview scheduling, and communication. It helps with efficient candidate sourcing and selection.
- Talent Management System (TMS): TMS software focuses on managing employee performance, development, and succession planning. It often includes features for goal setting, performance evaluations, learning and development programs, and career path planning.
- Learning Management System (LMS): LMS software enables the creation, delivery, and tracking of programs and courses for employees. It includes features like course authoring, content management, assessment tools, and reporting capabilities.
- Time and Attendance Management: This type of software helps track employee attendance, work hours, leave requests, and time off. It often includes features for shift scheduling, time tracking, overtime management, and integration with payroll systems.
- Employee Self-Service: ESS solutions allow employees to access and update their personal information, submit leave requests, view pay stubs, and access company policies and documents. It reduces the administrative burden on HR by empowering employees to manage their HR-related tasks.
- Performance Management: This assists in setting goals, conducting performance evaluations, providing feedback, and tracking employee performance over time. It also has features such as performance metrics, continuous feedback, and performance improvement plans.
- Onboarding Software: Onboarding software streamlines the process of welcoming and integrating new employees into the organization. It automates tasks such as form completion, document collection, training modules, and task assignments to ensure a smooth onboarding experience.
Which businesses use HR software?
Many businesses across various industries use HR software to streamline their human resources processes and manage their workforce effectively.
Here are some examples of businesses that commonly use HR software:
- SMEs: HR software is used by small to medium-sized companies to automate modules such as employee onboarding, attendance tracking, payroll management, performance evaluations, and more.
- Large companies and enterprises: Large companies with a sizable workforce also use HRMS solutions. It helps manage complex operations, such as employee data management, benefits administration, recruitment, and applicant tracking, among many other things.
- Tech companies: Technology companies often use HR software to manage their diverse and dynamic workforce. These companies are usually remote as well, and HR solutions help with talent acquisition, managing employee performance, tracking project assignments, and facilitating collaboration across teams.
- Healthcare: Hospitals, clinics, and other healthcare organizations use HR software to manage employee records, track certifications and licenses, schedule shifts, and handle payroll specific to the healthcare industry, such as managing different rates for different roles.
- Retail: HR software is used by retail businesses to handle high-volume recruitment and manage employee schedules and shifts effectively. It also assists with performance management, training, and employee engagement initiatives.
- Manufacturing: HR software can aid manufacturing companies in managing their workforce efficiently by automating time and attendance tracking, managing shift schedules, monitoring production line performance, and handling compliance requirements.
- Financial institutions: Banks, insurance companies, and other financial institutions use HR software to manage HR processes, including recruitment, employee records, performance evaluations, compensation and benefits administration, and compliance with industry regulations.
- Professional services firms: Law firms, consulting companies, and accounting firms utilize HR software to manage employee records, track billable hours, and handle performance evaluations.
Benefits of HR software
HR software offers numerous benefits that greatly enhance HR operations and overall organizational efficiency.
Here are some key benefits:
- Streamlined processes: HR software automates and streamlines various HR tasks, such as employee data management, payroll processing, leave tracking, and performance evaluations. This reduces manual paperwork, eliminates redundant processes, and saves time.
- Improved data accuracy: By centralizing employee data and automating data entry, HR software reduces the risk of errors and ensures accurate and up-to-date information. This leads to better decision-making and avoids potential issues arising from incorrect data.
- Enhanced compliance: HR software helps organizations comply with labor laws and regulations. It generates reports, track compliance requirements, and facilitate adherence to legal obligations, minimizing the risk of non-compliance and associated penalties.
- Employee self-service: Many HR software solutions offer employee self-service portals, allowing employees to access their personal information, submit leave requests, view payslips, and update their details. This empowers employees and reduces the administrative burden on HR staff.
- Increased efficiency: Automation of HR processes results in improved efficiency. HR software enables faster and more accurate payroll processing, easier tracking of attendance and leave streamlined recruitment and onboarding processes, and better management of performance evaluations.
- Data-driven insights: HR software often includes reporting and analytics features, enabling HR professionals to extract valuable insights from employee data. This helps in identifying trends, measuring key HR metrics, and making data-driven decisions regarding workforce planning, performance management, and talent development.
- Enhanced employee experience: With features like self-service portals, automated workflows, and streamlined communication, HR software enhances the overall employee experience. It provides easy access to information, simplifies HR interactions, and improves communication between employees and HR departments.
- Cost savings: By reducing manual administrative tasks and improving efficiency, HR software leads to cost savings in terms of time, resources, and paper usage. It also helps in minimizing errors that leads to financial repercussions.
Features of HR software
Human resource management software typically offers a range of features that streamline and automate different processes.
Common features include:
- Employee onboarding and data management: Centralized storage and easy access to employee database, either through a cloud-based HRMS solution or on-premises. The ideal HRMS solution should let you manage personal details, employment history, benefits, and performance records.
- Payroll processing: Automating payroll calculations, tax deductions, and generating payslips.
- Time and attendance management: Monitoring employee attendance, managing leave requests, and tracking work hours for accurate payroll processing.
- Recruitment and applicant tracking: Managing the hiring process, tracking applicants, scheduling interviews, and facilitating candidate communication.
- Performance and leave management: Setting goals, conducting performance reviews, providing feedback, and tracking employee performance over time.
- Training and development: Planning and managing employee training programs, tracking progress, and identifying skill gaps.
- Employee self-service: Allowing employees to access and update their information, request time off, view payslips, and access relevant HR documents.
- Workforce management: Managing employee benefits, such as health insurance, retirement plans, and other perks.
- Compliance and reporting: Ensuring compliance with labor laws and generating reports on HR metrics, workforce analytics, and regulatory requirements.
- Workflow automation: Streamlining HR processes through automation, including onboarding, offboarding, and document management.
- Mobile accessibility: Providing a mobile app or a responsive interface for employees and HR professionals to access HR features on the go.
Suggested Read: What is Intelligent Document Processing? How Does It Work?
What to look for in HR software?
When looking for an HRMS solution, you need to consider several factors.
From core HR features such as employee data and payroll management to scalability, the solution should help you simplify your company’s growth and adapt to different requirements.
Here’s how to choose the best human resource management system for your company.
How to choose the best HR software?
When evaluating HR software, here are critical factors to consider:
- Feature set: Ensure the software covers essential HR functions like employee data management, payroll processing, leave and attendance tracking, performance management, and employee self-service.
- Scalability: Consider the software’s ability to accommodate your organization’s growth. It must scale with your workforce size and offer customization options.
- Integration: Check if the software integrates with other systems, such as payroll, accounting, or recruitment platforms.
- User-friendliness: Search for a solution with an intuitive interface and user-friendly features.
- Compliance: Ensure the software adheres to local labor laws and data protection regulations. Robust security measures, data encryption, and regular backups are crucial for safeguarding sensitive HR information.
- Reporting: The software should offer robust reporting and analytics capabilities to derive insights from HR data and track key metrics.
- Cost: Evaluate the software’s pricing structure, including implementation, licensing, and ongoing maintenance costs.
HR software is a robust solution for companies of all sizes in India to streamline and enhance their human resources operations.
With many options available, businesses can find software solutions tailored to their needs, be it managing employee data, automating HR processes, or improving workforce analytics.
HR management software offers increased efficiency, better compliance, improved employee engagement, and substantially improved decision-making capabilities.
Implementing the right solution helps Indian companies effectively manage their human resources and drive overall organizational success.
The best HR solution depends on your specific needs and requirements. Some popular solutions are Workday, ADP Workforce Now, and BambooHR.
The pricing of HR software in India varies significantly depending on the features, scale, and vendor. The cost ranges from ₹1000 to more than ₹1 lakh for large enterprises.
SAP SuccessFactors is considered one of the largest, global HR software solutions.
The three commonly known HR systems are Human Resource Information System (HRIS), Applicant Tracking System (ATS), and Learning Management System (LMS).
Amazon uses Workday for its HR needs.
Like Amazon, Deloitte uses Workday for its HR software requirements.
Google uses a self-built HR solution called “People Operations”.
The benefits of HR include talent acquisition, retention, employee development, improved workplace culture, and compliance with labor laws.